- Trash cans are beside the driveway; one for trash, one for recyclables, clearly labeled.
- Everything that goes in either trash can must be bagged.
- There is no need to take the cans to the road – they’ll be emptied where they are. Check the Seaside Disposal card on the refrigerator for pickup days.
- Recyclable: glass, aluminum, tin and plastic containers, all containers labeled with recylable plastics #’s 1-7, paper, newspaper and cardboard
- Seaside Disposal – 508-255-1070
- There will be propane in the tank under the grill.
- If you run out of propane for grilling, fill tanks, and you will be reimbursed:
- Bayberry Gardens – 250 Rt. 6, Truro, 1.5 miles north of Truro Center – 508-349-6764
- Cape Cod Oil – 435 Route 6 , North Truro. 508-487-4874
Gas gets more expensive as you travel further out on the Cape. Your best bet is probably to fill up before you get to the Cape. Or you can find inexpensive gas in Hyannis. The Cumberland Farm SmartPay app will get you a ten cent a gallon discount at the new store in Eastham (or any CF store), although that’s still usually more expensive than full price on the mainland.
Jams – Small grocery store, with coffee, sandwiches, baked goodies. Many years ago it was Schoony Youngen’s, basic groceries, but as Jam’s it’s become, in the words of a TripAdvisor review, “Manhattan groceries in Truro.” TripAdvisor and Yelp reviews are actually entertaining to read. But it’s a lot closer than the nearest Stop ‘n Shop, and right in the middle of downtown Truro, across from the Post Office. For an actual grocery run: Wellfleet or Stop n’ Shop.
Wellfleet Market Place – A real grocery store in downtown Wellfleet, with produce, meats, bakery, ice cream, coffee, deli, and a wide range of groceries. And books. And chocolate.
Stop n’ Shop: –
- 56 Shank Painter Rd., Provincetown – 12.2 mi.
- 24 Route 6a, Orleans – 17.4 mi.
Peapod by Stop n Shop (http://peapod.com) will deliver groceries right to the door here at Bay View Pines. When using the link, Truro’s zip code is 02666.
- Truro – Mondays, downtown – 8-12
- Wellfleet – Wednesdays, downtown – 8-12
- P’Town – Saturdays, downtown – 11-4
The PO is in the little cluster of buildings which is downtown Truro (“Truro Center”), at the end of Old County Rd. It’s right across from Jam’s.
HEALTH and SAFETY
- Outer Cape Health Services Pharmacy, 2700 U.S. 6, Wellfleet
- Rite Aid Pharmacy, Orleans Marketplace, 130 MA-6A, Orleans, MA
- Both Stop ‘n Shops have pharmacies (see above)
- Outer Cape Health Services
49 Harry Kemp Way, Provincetown (508) 487-9395
- Wellfleet Health Center
3130 Route 6, Wellfleet (508) 349-3131
- Cape Cod Hospital
27 Park St., Hyannis (508) 771-1800
TICKS – Just a little preparation and attention will keep you clear of ticks and associated Lyme disease. We’ve sprayed the property for ticks and other annoying critters, but only in the general vicinity of the house, and on either side of the path going down to Stevens Way.
Remember to tuck your pants into your socks when walking off the road, and check later at your convenience. Do a full-body search for ticks every day you go out walking. Adding your own personal spray will help even more. Some helpful links:
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC): http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/
- Local wisdom
- Treat clothes to repel ticks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQdL3FO4ONk
- Permethrin, not Deet: http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm
- The top brick step up to the front door is a fraction of an inch higher than the others, for some reason. Take care with that last step!
- The interior stairway does not have a landing at the top. Take care when getting ready to walk downstairs. When walking up, remember the door opens right into traffic.
No gym or fitness center at Bay View Pines. We do have a rowing machine, but the best fitness center ever is just a half-mile away – Fisher Beach and Cape Cod Bay.
There are some gyms in Provincetown, one in Wellfleet and one in Eastham.